Maternity clothes make all the difference when it comes to comfort, style and accommodating your beautiful, expanding belly during pregnancy. However, because they’re worn for such a short time - and only a few times per lifetime - it makes sense to curtail the urge to shop, keeping the maternity clothing wish list to a budget-friendly minimum.
In addition to this realistic maternity clothing list, I’ll also share a few extra tips on how to look your best during your entire pregnancy, and for your memory-making maternity photo session.
Keep maternity clothing to a basic minimum
The good news is that maternity styles are more fashionable than they used to be; the bad news is that many women overspend and purchase maternity clothes they don’t need and/or hardly every wear.
Before you shop, keep in mind:
● Maternity clothes are only worn for a short time so used options are often just like new. There are some local stores where you can find gently used, high-quality maternity clothes for a fraction of the price of new clothing.
● Friends and family members will be thrilled to pass-on maternity clothes they won’t need any more, so don’t be afraid to ask around.
● Mixing-and-matching versatile pieces allows you to optimize your wardrobe with fewer purchases.
● Stretchable fabric is essential. Pregnancy is wonderful, but it also introduces its fair share of discomforts. Don’t wear anything that isn’t comfortable and designed to stretch and move with you.
Your maternity wardrobe should consist of:
Leggings. Thank goodness for stretchy fashions. These can be worn separate or underneath skirts or dresses.
Camis and t-shirts. Purchase a handful of each in basic black-white-gray as well as a few in your favorite colors.
Cardigans. These button or zip sweaters are easy for layering and adjusting to your body’s fluctuating temperatures. Plus, they look so sweet stretched over your baby bump.
Stretchy skirt and dress. Look for a couple of skirts and dresses that you love,and that can be rotated with the aforementioned camis, t-shirts and cardigans.
Maternity jeans. You’ve never been more thrilled that “mom jeans” are back in style…and you’ll love these jeans just as much for the several months post-partum that your tummy requires to reclaim its shape and tone.
These five maternity clothing basics can be mixed-and-matched to dress you up or down, with the addition of accessories and shoes. Try to keep very bright colors and heavy patterns to a minimum, since these are often harder to coordinate with other accessories.
Other maternity items worth investing in include:
● Comfortable underwear
● Maternity bras (opt for brands that have nursing options built-in so you can use them after baby is born
● Lounging pants for around the house and basic errands
● One or two “special” dresses. There are only so many special events you’ll attend in a single pregnancy, and the use of cardigans and wraps allows you to wear the same dress or two multiple times over.
● Professional photos. There is nothing like the magical results of a maternity photo session done right. The pictures will capture the uniqueness of this moment in time forever. If you are planning a maternity photo session, look for a professional photographer specializing in maternity and newborn photos and who supplies the gorgeous dresses and accessories so you don’t have to supply your own wardrobe.
Pregnancy-safe exercises keep you looking and feeling great
Even if the weight is gained for a good cause, pregnancy weight gain and a rapidly changing body can be challenging to contend with – especially during the last month or two. Pregnancy-safe exercises are the solution. From water exercise and daily walks to prenatal yoga classes, daily exercise will help you feel better, look better and contribute to that famous “pregnancy glow.”
Always check with your physician before committing to any prenatal pregnancy program. Visit the American Pregnancy Association’s page on Exercise During Pregnancy for more specific guidelines around safe exercising for a healthy pregnancy.
What should I wear for my maternity photo session?
This is one of the most common questions I hear from prospective clients. The good news is that there’s no need to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on new clothes. Lemonshoots, as well as other reputable maternity photographers, supply our clients with gorgeous gowns and other accessories that pay homage to their pregnant bodies.
In order to show off your body to its fullest pregnancy, I recommend scheduling your session anywhere between week 32 and 37. This ensures your belly will be nice and round, but that you’ll still be comfortable enough to stand, sit and move around for the various poses – particularly since most of them take place in eye-catching outdoor locations.
Are you interested in maternity photographs that feature you in beautiful gowns, with a stunning backdrop and that will capture your precious memories for a lifetime? Contact me here at Lemonshoots to schedule your session.